For those who are looking to save some money while building a home gym there are a few things you should keep in mind. In this article, here’s your first step by step guide to building a home gym for the perfect fit for you.
Step one: Find the right space.
Before you can get swinging kettlebells and doing hundreds of curls, you must decide where exactly you want to set-up your home gym. If you are a small and compact person, then consider putting it in a corner. If you have more space, then a corner, or even the middle, may be suitable. Once you’ve decided on the location, then the next step is to figure out the size of gym equipment you will need.
As mentioned above, if you are a small home gym, you will need a lot of power lifting equipment such as barbells, dumbbells, and even isolation machines. If you’re like me, however, you’ll need more than these heavy duty products to get started. So what you’ll need are home fitness equipment that are specifically geared toward those with smaller spaces.
There are many different types of home fitness equipment that are specifically designed for the smaller user. You can use one machine to target your chest and back or you can do a full body fitness routine using multiple machines.
The most important thing to do is decide which type of equipment is right for you.
Do you want a total body workout?
Do you want a strength training workout?
If so, then you’ll need a complete strength and conditioning system. If you just want to build muscle, then you can probably get by with one machine that can help you with a specific muscle group such as legs.
10 Best Home Gym Setups for 2020
- 25+ exercises that cover the entire body
- Over 200 pounds of Power Rod resistance
- Bench converts to a rolling seat for aerobic rowing
- TOTAL DIMENSIONS: 68"L x 42"W x 78"H
- MAXIMUM USER WEIGHT: 300 lbs
- STEEL CONSTRUCTION: This home gym system is made of heavy-duty 14 gauge steel tube frame and vinyl coated for extra durability with a total weight of 150 lbs.
- Heavy Duty: Made from high quality steel, designed to support a maximum user weight of 400 lbs. and a maximum total weight of 1000 lbs. Nylon coated aircraft quality cables were tested 1000-Pound capacity
- Pulley System: High and low pulley system (total 15 pulleys) provides a smooth fluid motion with every movement and strengthen various muscles throughout your back, arms and core.
- Lat Pull: Wide-grip Olympic lat pull-down attachment comes with both lat bar and low row bar with foam handles for easy grip and multiple muscle training purposes. Bars are detachable & can be replaced with other lat machine accessories.
- 🏋♀【FITNESS EQUIPMENT COMBINATION】The package includes a pair of adjustable barbells and dumbbells, with 4-5kg / 11lb boards, 4-2.5kg / 5.5lb boards, 6-1.25kg / 2.75lb boards, 6-0.5kg / 1.1lb boards , 6 collars, two barbell bars and two dumbbell bars.With this dumbbell set, you can exercise at home, in the office or any place at any time.
- 🏋♀【ADJUSTABLE PAINT KIT】Comes with a cast iron counterweight plate with paint coating for maximum durability. Chrome-plated handle ensures firmness and non-slip. It also includes a star-shaped lock ring for easy weight change.Weight plates covered with rubber cover to avoid causing damage to the floor.
- 🏋♀【CONNECTOR】Use high-quality connectors to easily turn dumbbells into barbells. The handle of the connector is engraved with knurling, which can better grip and improve safety during exercise. Compatible with 1 inch rotating lock dumbbell.The upgraded handle bar can be effectively fall resistant, improve your coordination and avoid muscle atrophy by using this for simple, easy strength training to build your strength and muscle mass effectively.
- 1.【WIDE APPLICATION】 this air track tumbling mat can be used at home, gym, fitness club, dance clubs, schools, leisure centers and park. Also it could be used on beach, swimming pool, backyard, grass land. Just make sure there is no fire around it or sharp things under the mat, you can doing gymnastics, yoga, taekwondo training on the mats.
- 2.【DURABLE & PORTABLE】 this airtrack gymnastics training mat is made of double-wall materials and durable commercial grade PVC tarpaulin, better air-tightness and durability since reinforcement are made for all seams. And this mat is not heavy, very easy to carry since the mat filled with air
- 3.【EASY TO INFLATE & DEFLATE】 - This gymnastics mats compared with the traditional foam-based mats and other tumbling mat, this tumble track only takes much less time to inflate and it can maintains the pressure for days. With the air pump,it only needs minutes to inflate and deflate the air track mat
- 💪【Multi Function】It is a multi-functional power tower that supports vertical knee raise, push-ups, dips as well as pull-ups, which help tone and target your arms, core, shoulders, chest, and back for a stronger upper body.
- 💪【Ergonomic Design】Humanized design with PU pads for elbow protection, and the armrest of this dip station is slightly inclined towards the inside 10 degree to prevent the elbow from slipping off.
- 💪【4 Gear Regulation Height】The height of pull up bar can be adjusted from 64.56" to 88.18", suitable for all adult fitness needs at home, office.
- 【SOLID BUILD SUPPORT TO 550 LBS】Made of commercial thickness steel and triangular mechanical support design with safety lock, past thousands of weight test to ensure safety for workout everytime, 65mm thickened backrest and 5 layers leather foam pannel provide your a comfortable workout.
- 【Fully Adjustable Bench with Removable Preacher Pad】HARISON 609 bench has 6 backrest pad positions, 5 positions for seat position, You can arrange the bench into an incline, decline, or flat position .Adjustable preacher pad and balance knob with different angles meet all your body exercise demands.This is useful not only for weight lifting workouts but also for manual, equipment-free exercises.
- 【Utility Exercise Bench with Barbell Rack】The barbell bars suitable for both Olympic (inner bore 50mm) and normal one inch(Inner bore 25mm), and you can put around 3-4 pieces (75kgs) plates on the bench.
- Heavy duty - Made from high quality steel, designed to support a maximum user weight of 400 pounds and a maximum total weight of 1000 pounds. Nylon coated aircraft quality cables were tested 1000-pound capacity
- Pulley system - High and low pulley system (total 12 pulleys) provides a smooth fluid motion with every movement and strengthen various muscles throughout your back, arms and core
- Lat pull - Wide-grip Olympic lat pull-down attachment comes with both lat bar and low row bar with foam handles for easy grip and multiple muscle training purposes. Bars are detachable & can be replaced with other lat machine accessories
- 【Detachable dumbbell】Dumbbells for resistance training are ideal for arms, chest, back, core and legs. Each dumbbell is adjusted from 4.4 pounds to 33 pounds. There are 12 dumbbell pieces for you to choose.
- 【Adjustable to barbell】Dumbbells are connected by connecting rods to become barbells, in which the deep thread is firm and solid. This set of home fitness equipment for diversified choices can meet the needs of upper and lower limb exercises. With this dumbbell set, save your time and gym membership fees, and enable you to exercise anytime, anywhere!
- 【Safe decompression】The 17.7-inch all-inclusive foam connecting rod and curved rubber-covered dumbbell rod fit the palm of your hand to avoid sports injuries and give you the necessary comfort for fitness. Strengthen your core strength in a safe and effective way, help you burn calories and improve abdominal endurance.
After you’ve chosen your equipment, it’s time to figure out how big you need your gym to be. For example, you may want a smaller gym but only use it for one or two exercises. Or maybe you want a bigger gym but use it for a full body workout. There’s no right or wrong answer to this question. Just find out which you think is best for you.
The next step is to figure out how much money you are willing to spend. I recommend spending at least $100 on the things you will use the most (i.e. kettlebells, bench press, lat pull-downs, overhead press, etc.). If you spend more, then you’ll be able to buy more expensive equipment but you won’t have to spend as much time and effort putting them together.
Now, that you have all your equipment, put everything together and get your new gym going. It’s best to do it outdoors when the weather is good.
When you first set up your equipment, you should always start with a light weight and a dumbbell. The heavier the weights, the harder they will be to use, but you will have more control over the movement.
If you can’t afford to buy a whole set of dumbbells, get one for each workout. Then you can try the exercises until you can master the skill of using them. If you don’t feel comfortable using the weights, then you can always take the dumbbells back out of the gym and use them in the house or at work.
Always make sure that you’re keeping your home gym clean and well maintained. This means emptying the trash cans and washing your mat after every workout. Keeping the floor clean will keep you and your equipment cleaner and more comfortable.
Also, keep your equipment in your garage or another room so you can get to it quickly. Don’t leave your gym equipment in the bathroom or basement.