Probiotics are good bacteria that promote health and aid in digestion.
Many people often ask us about how probiotics can help them lose weight when introduced into a balanced diet.
These microorganisms have become quite popular among healthy eaters recently for their various health benefits especially using probiotics for weight loss.
The digestive system requires a balance of good and bad bacteria to function properly. Multiple factors can disturb that balance and make bad bacteria prevail, and probiotics prevent the imbalance from happening.
Intake of probiotics is highly recommended to individuals with poor digestive health, weak immunity, and to people who want to have healthier gut flora. Assisting in weight loss is yet another important benefit of probiotics. You’ve probably heard of someone taking probiotics just because they want that extra kick to lose weight in a safe and natural way.
With a variety of probiotic types and strains, it is easy to get confused and wonder about the best strain for weight loss specifically. In this article, you’re going to learn more about the best probiotics for weight loss.
Best 3 Probiotics for Weight Loss and Gut Health
Table of Contents
- Best 3 Probiotics for Weight Loss and Gut Health
- Which Probiotic Strains Helps With Weight Loss?
- How Do Probiotics Help with Weight Loss?
- Best Probiotic Strains to Increase Metabolism
- How to Find the Best Probiotic Supplements?
- Which Yogurts Have Best Probiotics?
We get asked a lot of questions like “how many billion CFUs of probiotics should I take per day?”.
Ideally, you want to get a probiotic supplement that contains at least 1 billion CFU. It’s been proven that somewhere between 1 billion and 20 billion CFU of probiotics is best for adults. Of course, this all depends on the person’s microbiome.
We’ve rounded up the best probiotic brands for weight loss below:
Which Probiotic Strains Helps With Weight Loss?
Strains from the Lactobacillus family prove to be highly effective for weight loss, particularly Lactobacillus gasseri. Out of all the probiotics studied so far, this particular strain shows the most promising weight loss effects.
A study whose findings were published in the British Journal of Nutrition found that rats that received this probiotic had lower cholesterol levels and increased excretion of fecal fatty acids, both of these factors are necessary for overall health, good digestion, and of course weight loss.
Moreover, the European Journal of Nutrition featured research which discovered that Lactobacillus gasseri prevents body weight gain, fat accumulation, and pro-inflammatory gene expression in the adipose tissue.
Japanese scientists discovered that the probiotic Lactobacillus gasseri shows lowering effects on abdominal adiposity, body weight and other measures, which is why it is beneficial for individuals who want to manage or prevent obesity and metabolic disorders.
The Korean Journal of Family Medicine presented research confirming that the administration of this probiotic strain reduces weight and waist and hip circumference.
Possibly the best piece of evidence confirming the efficacy of Lactobacillus gasseri comes from a study carried out by researchers in Japan who followed 210 participants with a lot of belly fat. Their findings, published in the British Journal of Nutrition, revealed that taking this probiotic strain for 12 weeks reduced body weight, fat around organs, BMI, waist size, and hip circumference. In fact, it reduced belly fat by 8.5%.
Although Lactobacillus gasseri is the most powerful probiotic for weight loss, you will achieve greater effects if you take products with multiple strains. Other strains that are beneficial for weight loss are Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus amylovorus, and Lactobacillus rhamnosus. That said, we can expect scientists to discover new, potent strains in the near future because there are many stains that haven’t even been identified yet.
- 60 BILLION CFUs MAX STRENGTH: Our probiotic actually contains 60 BILLION CFUs per serving. Other brands claim it, but beware of deception. Some products say "equivalent to" or do not state an amount of CFUs. We saw a need for high-quality supplements that actually work and stand by their claims. Our most popular probiotic brings you exactly what's on the label with 10 probiotic strains, 60 Billion CFU, and an organic prebiotic blend.
- PROBIOTICS and ORGANIC PREBIOTICS: Our DOCTOR-APPROVED probiotics are made with prebiotics and probiotics based on clinical research. A complete probiotic supplement for ultimate digestive health. Made with 10 probiotic strains & premium grade professional grade NON-GMO ingredients. Shelf-stable vegan probiotics with NO: unnecessary binders, soy, gluten, milk, egg, wheat, peanuts, shellfish or preservatives.
- NATURALLY INSPIRED PROBIOTIC SUPPLEMENT: Contains 10 strains plus a PATENTED SHELF-STABLE bottle which ensures product stability. Our probiotic daily blend plus organic prebiotic fiber blend naturally helps to support the stomach's digestive environment and supports the natural stomach balance. Great for gut health, and occasional gas relief, bloating relief, constipation, leaky gut, digestive health, weight loss, immune system and intestinal health.
- DETOXIFIES & CLEANSES: Probiotics and organic prebiotics with natural EGCG green tea extract that have been shown to support increased detoxification processes by boosting antioxidants and fighting free radicals. Apple cider vinegar, digestive enzymes and Capsimax to promote natural daily detox cleanse & weight loss.
- PROMOTES WEIGHT LOSS: In a Clinical study, 100 patients lost an average of over 30 lbs. in 90 days taking 300 mg of stimulant-free GREENSELECT PHYTOSOME daily with a reduced-calorie diet. Greenselect is a proprietary, caffeine-free extract from green tea contained in our Thin 30 probiotic at the 300 mg dose.
- SUPPORTS DIGESTIVE HEALTH & BALANCE: A daily probiotic and organic prebiotic with digestive enzymes to promote digestive health and balance. With tested probiotic strains: Lactobacillus gasseri, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium lactis, L. plantarum, L. rhamnosus, and B. infantis. These strains work synergistically in stimulating gut health. With organic chicory root and organic Jerusalem artichoke, Thin 30 houses natural sources of soluble fiber to further promote digestive health.
- Active probiotics blend with 1 billion live cultures 100 percent shelf stable for maximum potency
- Unlike other probiotic blends, this effective probiotic formula delievers an added 200 milligram dose of green coffee extract to support weight loss
- Contains superfruit Garcinia cambogia and Green Tea plus 19 vitamins and minerals
How Do Probiotics Help with Weight Loss?
Successful weight loss is the result of regular physical activity and a well-balanced diet. Contrary to popular belief, however, you do not have to adhere to a strict and restrictive diet that can jeopardize your health in order to lose weight. The key is to limit or avoid the consumption of unhealthy foods while increasing the intake of healthy foods abundant in vitamins, minerals, proteins, healthy fats, and other nutrients. One of the healthy additions you should be making to your diet when you embark on your weight loss journey is probiotics. These live microorganisms can be of great help to your weight loss. Keep reading to find out how.
In order to shed some light on the role of probiotics in weight loss, it is important to mention that a growing body of evidence suggests that overweight, particularly obese individuals, have different gut bacteria than people within the healthy weight range. A paper, published in the Journal of Obesity and Weight Loss Medication, showed that intestinal microbiota plays a vital role in regulating energy levels and metabolic pathways. Changes in gut microbiota have been observed in both obese animals and humans. Microbiota may modulate energy balance in your body through different mechanisms such as increased intestinal absorption of monosaccharides and the production of short-chain fatty acids through polysaccharides fermentation, and many others. Based on these findings, scientists from Italy concluded that the manipulation of gut microbiota is a useful manner of tackling or preventing obesity and metabolic disorders.
Why Is Using a Probiotic Supplement Beneficial?
Due to the fact that changes in gut microbiota can contribute to gaining weight, it comes as no surprise that scientists assumed probiotics may help prevent that. And it turns out that they were not wrong!
The British Journal of Nutrition featured a study which showed that certain probiotics can, indeed, help women lose weight. Not just that, they also help keep the lost weight off. Many people lose weight just to gain it all back. With probiotics, you can avoid this common problem, according to this study.
The study included 125 overweight participants who were assigned to two groups: one study received 2 pills daily containing probiotics while the second group received a placebo for two weeks. Results showed that after the 12-week diet period, women in the probiotic group lost about 4.4 kg while the placebo group lost only 2kg.
Scientists who worked on this study presume that probiotics promote weight loss by altering the permeability of the intestinal wall. Also, they keep some pro-inflammatory molecules from entering the bloodstream, thus preventing the chain reaction that leads to glucose intolerance, obesity, and Type 2 diabetes.
Women aren’t the only ones who can benefit from probiotics! Virginia Tech researchers carried out their own study which included 20 healthy men and found that probiotics prevent weight gain and fat accumulation. Why are probiotics so helpful? Well, overeating tends to alter microbiome communities and make it difficult for the body to absorb all the nutrients, but probiotics promote the balance of microbiota and, thereby, solve these issues.
Furthermore, a meta-analysis published in the Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition found that consuming probiotics can reduce body weight and BMI (body mass index). The greatest reduction in BMI occurred in overweight individuals who consumed multiple probiotic strains.
Moreover, evidence suggests that certain strains of the Lactobacillus family promote weight loss and help people lose belly fat. In one study, strains from this bacterial family reduced body fat by 3-4% over a 6-week period.
So basically, probiotics support weight loss due to these reasons:
- Better digestive health
- The Balance of gut microbiota
- They prevent pro-inflammatory molecules from entering the bloodstream and causing harm that could, eventually, lead to obesity
- Better absorption of nutrients
- Prevention of weight gain
Best Probiotic Strains to Increase Metabolism
We can divide probiotics into different families, and each of these families has multiple strains. Getting the right type of probiotic is crucial for weight loss because different strains serve different purposes. When it comes to weight loss, the Lactobacillus family is the one you should aim for as it helps you lose extra pounds and stubborn belly fat.
In the study mentioned above, the probiotic strains that led to a 3-4% loss in belly fat were Lactobacillus amylovorus and Lactobacillus fermentum. Yet another study published in the British Journal of Nutrition found that strain Lactobacillus rhamnosus helped participants lose 50% more weight than placebo during a 3-month period.
However, the probiotic strain with the greatest potential to aid weight loss is Lactobacillus gasseri. This particular strain helps you lose weight and belly fat, and it also prevents weight gain. Lactobacillus gasseri is found naturally in the digestive, genital, and urinary systems of the human body. This strain is also present in fermented foods and some dairy products, but you can also get it in supplement form.
Lactobacillus gasseri is one of the most well-researched probiotic strains, and it is widely known for its positive impact on weight loss. It is not uncommon for fitness professionals to include this strain in the regimens they plan for their clients because it supports digestive health, burns belly fat, and prevents fat production. Let’s not forget the fact that Lactobacillus gasseri reduces inflammation, lowers cholesterol, and regulates a hormone called leptin. Adipose (fat) cells produce this hormone to helps maintain energy by suppressing hunger. Overweight or obese individuals are, usually, desensitized to this hormone, which explains why they tend to overeat.
It is important to bear in mind that probiotics shouldn’t replace exercise and a healthy diet. They act as supplements to complement your healthy lifestyle. Also, for maximum effects, choose products with multiple probiotic strains.
Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra – Best Probiotic for Weight Loss
Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Specs:
- Improves Digestion: 15 billion CFU probiotic supplement contains Lactobaccilus acidophilus, Bifidobacteria, and other strains to maximize the benefits of a healthy diet, boost nutrient absorption, relieve constipation and support digestive health
- Boosts Immune System
- Improve Bowel Movements: Promotes regular, healthy and comfortable bowel movements
- Whole Food Probiotic: Extremely clean and pure ingredients.
How to Find the Best Probiotic Supplements?
The efficacy of probiotics for weight loss, or any other health effect for that matter, also depends on the supplement you buy. Despite the fact that one can get probiotics through diet, people who don’t like the sources of the good bacteria or don’t consume them in sufficient amounts can benefit from dietary supplements.
That is why it is crucial to know how to find an ideal product. Here are some things to take into consideration:
Quality manufacturing by a reputable brand
This is the number one rule when purchasing supplements, regardless of the type. Always make sure you buy products made by a reliable manufacturer. If the brand is unknown, take some time to do a little bit of research and see whether it is a company you can trust.
Read the label
When it comes to probiotic supplements, the label should always include the following:
- Genus, species, and strain of the microorganisms e.g. Lactobacillus gasseri SBT2055. As mentioned already, you’ll experience more benefits if you opt for supplements with multiple strains
- Number of organisms present in a single dose
- Dosage instructions
- Storage information when relevant
- The Expiration date, this is important because it indicates the living microorganisms are still living
- Certification of an independent third party testing, because FDA does not regulate most supplements, but you still have to make sure the product contains everything it mentions on the label
- Encapsulated pills or some other technology that ensures bacteria will survive the trip through the acidic stomach and reach the colon
If the manufacturer does not provide a money-back guarantee, then move on to the next one. You should be able to get a refund if the supplement you buy does not work.
Which Yogurts Have Best Probiotics?
Buying yogurt is one of the easiest ways to get probiotics through diet. However, not all yogurts have these live microorganisms. Generally, your best bet is buying a plain yogurt without added sugars. The table below shows some of the best yogurts when it comes to probiotic content, and you can find all of them in every store.
|Yoplait (Greek yogurt, plain)||Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Streptococcus thermophilus|
|Chobani (Greek yogurt whole milk, non-fat)||Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus casei|
|Stonyfield Farms (100% grass-fed plain, Greek yogurt plain)||Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Lactobacillus paracasei|
|Dannon||Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Streptoccocus thermophilus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Activia: Bifidobacterium lactis DN-173 010 DanActive: Lactobacillus casei DN-114 001|
|Fage (plain)||Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus casei|
|Greek Gods Yogurt (lebni)||Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus casei|
|Voskos Greek Yogurt (non-fat plain)||Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum|
The term probiotic was defined for the very first time in 2001. Since then, these live microorganisms have become a subject of multiple studies as scientists wanted to shed some light on their effects and benefits. A growing body of evidence confirms that probiotics are excellent for healthy digestion, the immune system, skin health, and weight loss. In fact, numerous studies have confirmed that probiotics can help you lose weight and burn fat. You can ingest probiotics from yogurts and some cheeses, supplements, and fermented foods that are particularly abundant in Lactobacillus gasseri.